Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published nor has it been submitted for consideration by any other journal (or an explanation has been provided in the editor's comments).
- The sending file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, RTF or WordPerfect format.
- Wherever possible, URLs will be provided for the references.
- The text has a single line spacing, a font size of 12 points, italics are used instead of underlining (except for URLs), and all illustrations, figures and tables are placed in the appropriate places in the text, in Instead of at the end.
- The text meets the stylistic and bibliographic conditions detailed in the section Instructions for the Authors´.
Through the Georgetown University's Globalization, Competitiveness and Governability journal (hereinafter "GCG" or "journal"), Georgetown University (hereinafter "GU") and Georgetown University's Latin America Leadership Program (hereinafter "LALP") aim to provide Ibero-American businesses and governments with an online research platform (hereinafter "Site") to advance the competitiveness and governability of their countries in a globalized world. Since its launch in 2007, the journal has brought together the region's academic and scientific communities to highlight the latest research on the topics of Globalization, Competitiveness, and Governability across the region. The journal publishes content ("articles") submitted by scholars (hereinafter "authors") in 3 areas: 1) theoretical frameworks, 2) applied theory, and 3) case studies.
2. Intended User
Access to this Site is voluntary and free of charge for all individuals (hereinafter “User” or “Users”). Users of the Site may include the Site administrators, journal managers, authors, editors, reviewers, layout editors, proofreaders, and readers.
3. Applicable Laws and Policies
The User is fully informed that by submitting an article for publication review, the User confirms his or her intent to publish it on this Site under the Term of Use and acknowledges that if the article is published in the journal, the article will appear in the Site’s search engine.
Users should not share their personal account or password information with anyone else. Users should notify GU and LALP immediately if they suspect any unauthorized use of their account or knowledge of their user ID or password. This Site provides appropriate levels of security to protect, prevent loss, misuse, alteration, unauthorized access, and theft of the Personal Data. Nevertheless, authors should be aware that Internet security measures are not infallible.
GU and LALP may use personal demographic information (name and e-mail) entered by Users to update GCG database and send communication about changes to the Site or news about programs, events, and offerings of GU and LALP. Users should contact LALP if they do not wish GU and LALP to use their demographic information in this manner.
Any registered User may unsubscribe from this Site at any time, losing the status of such, and the rights and data associated with his or her account, with no further requirement than to request it in writing to LALP. Requests must be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Georgetown University’s Latin America Leadership Program, 3700 O Street, NW, Hariri 433, Washington DC 20057
5. User Content
The User agrees to use the services and content provided on this Site in accordance with the principles of good faith and generally accepted uses. Any use for illicit purposes or that harm or damage or overload, in any way, the use and normal operation of the Site, or that directly or indirectly violate these terms are expressively forbidden. Through the services, tools, or utilities of this Site, the User agrees not to publish any evaluations, comments, or any other content that threatens people's values and dignity under national and international protection standards of human rights.
Users are solely responsible for the content that they upload, publish or display or transmit to or share. Users may not post, communicate, or share any content that they did not create (unless they have the Author or creator's permission) or that they do not have permission to post.
The User confirms that the information provided when submitting their registration is true and accurate. Likewise, the reproduction, distribution, transmission, adaptation, or modification, by any means and in any form, of the contents of this Site (texts, designs, graphics, information, databases, sound or image files, logos, and other elements), is forbidden, except when previously Authorized by GU or permitted by law. Likewise, concerning the contents detailed above, any commercial or advertising use other than that strictly allowed, if applicable, are prohibited.
Professional and appropriate etiquette is expected and required at all times. Anonymous access and posting of content is forbidden. All Users must accept that their identity will be associated with any content they provide to the Site and visible to all Users of the Services. Users are solely responsible for the posting and use of their GCG account.
GU and LALP do not claim copyright ownership of the text, files, images, photos, videos, audio, or other materials that Users post to the Site. However, when Users submit or post content to the Site, Users irrevocably Authorize and license GU and LALP to use such content in any medium for non-commercial, educational, or promotional purposes, and to make copies of such content as necessary to facilitate the posting and storage of the content on the Site.
6. Intellectual Property
As a condition of publication, by submitting articles or notes for review and potential subsequent publication in GCG, the Author expressly and voluntarily grants non-exclusive rights to GU and LALP for the public communication, reproduction, translation, distribution, and other necessary actions required for the dissemination of the article in all forms of media whether now known or hereafter developed.
PREVIOUS PUBLICATION AND PERMISSION: Author warrants that the article has not been published elsewhere in whole or in part and that no agreement to publish the article or any part or version thereof is outstanding. Should the article contain any material that requires written permission for inclusion in the article, such consent shall be obtained at the Author’s own expense from the copyright proprietor and submitted for review with the manuscript to GU and LALP.
REPRODUCTION: The Author is informed and consents that his or her article may be included in scientific information databases and systems, including, but not limiting, the REDALYC -Red de Revistas Científicas de América Latina y el Caribe, Spain and Portugal-, SCIELO, ABI / INFORM of Proquest LLC, etc.). The Author acknowledges that owners of these databases are authorized to perform the following actions in regards to his or her article:
- Reproduce, transmit and distribute the article or sections of the article through any electronic medium that already exists or is developed in the future.
- Reproduce and distribute the article or sections of the article in printed format.
- Translate the article or sections of the article.
- Extract figures, tables, illustrations, graphics, subtitles, and metadata.
- Authorize the transmission, distribution, and reproduction of the article to third parties.
- Create bibliographic citations, abstracts, and indexes.
- Scan or store the images and electronic text of the article.
7. External Content
The Site may include links to external sites owned or managed by third parties to facilitate access to information and services available through the Internet. GU and LALP do not assume any responsibility derived from the existence of links between the contents of the Site and contents or mentions to this Site published on external sites. Such links are just informative by nature. In no case do they imply the support, approval, commercialization, or any relationship between GU or LALP and the people or entities that manage the external sites. In this sense, the User commits to use the utmost care and diligence when accessing or using content or services of external sites through any external links.
8. Administration of the Service and Appropriate Use
Upon submitting an article for review and subsequent publication in GCG, the author freely transfers all non-exclusive rights of public communication, reproduction, distribution, and other rights necessary for the dissemination of the article in the journal to GU and LALP, for the duration of said rights, worldwide and in any language. As such, GU will be able to:
- Reproduce, transmit, or distribute the article, in whole or in part, in any material or digital form, currently in existence or which may exist in the future, including electronic transmission in order to search, display, or print;
- Reproduce and distribute the article, in whole or in part, in printed format.
- Translate portions of the article.
- Extract figures, tables, images and other graphic elements, to capture subtitles and metadata related to the article in order to search, display, or print.
- Authorize agents or distributors to transmit, distribute, or reproduce the article.
- Prepare bibliographic citations, abstracts, and indices, and to capture references related to certain parts of the article.
- Scan and/or save the article's images and text.
Users' views and opinions on this Site do not necessarily state or reflect the views, opinions, or policies of GU or LALP. Please be aware that GU and LALP do not guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of the information of the contents submitted by Users on this Site.
The following content and activities are prohibited on this Site:
- Failing to identify yourself or impersonating other users or individuals.
- Sharing your account with others.
- Using the Services for commercial or profit-making purposes. This means that you may not upload, post, transmit, share, or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unAuthorized advertising, solicitations, and promotional materials (including "spam," "junk mail," "chain letters," and "pyramid schemes"). You also may not display advertisements or place commercial content in your account.
- Posting, storing, transmitting, or sharing copyrighted material such as music, software, video files, trademarks, or other proprietary information unless permission has been obtained from the appropriate owner(s).
- Using the Services for partisan political activities, including supporting individual candidates for office.
9. Disclaimer of Warranties
In any case or circumstance, GU or LALP will not held liable for the unintended consequences arisen from any of the following events:
- Any scheduled or unscheduled maintenance of the Site that may result in accessibility, accuracy, completeness, relevance, timeliness, and reliability issues.
- Internet or program viruses, or any other external programs, that may affect Users’ computers, systems, or files after accessing this Site.
- Any illicit, negligent, and fraudulent use of the Site.
- The non-Authorized use of GU and LALP brand, commercial name, label, denomination, logo, slogan, or other distinctive signs.
- Violations or infringements of the law in terms of intellectual property rights.
- Errors and typos on the content or services due to the reception, storage, and transmission of data.
- Any unauthorized third party’s use of the contents and services of the Site.
- The breach, by third parties, of their obligations or any guarantees, derived or contracted in relation to the services provided to Users through the SITE, and for the lack of quality, reliability, adequacy of the content or services provided by third parties and made available to User on this Site.
This list is non-exclusive. In any case, GU and LALP WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES DERIVED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM THE ABOVE MENTIONED CIRCUMSTANCES OR FROM ANY OTHERS OF SIMILAR CHARACTERISTICS.
10. Acceptance of Terms